Aug 6, 2008

We made it!



After over 30 hours spent on planes, buses and in airports we arrived in Turkey. We flew from Istanbul to Dalaman yesterday and once we were officially in Turkey I wasn't surprised that everyone didn't speak English, but I was surprised that I wanted to speak Spanish; unfortunately, I don't think that would help. J on the other hand thinks everybody speaks English and wonders why they look at him weird.
.
Our first stop is Fethiye, or more specifically Calis (we didn't know this until the bus driver dropped us off in a roundabout intersection around 10pm last night - lucky for us, there was a very nice man who also got off the bus in this intersection and helped us catch the dolomus (mini bus) which dropped us off about 200 meters from our hotel). Our first hotel choice was a success (http://www.hoteldeltafethiye.com/), thank you Trip Advisor. We're situated between the beach (photos of that to come soon) and a marketplace (the pictures above are from our hotel room balcony) with lots of restaurants and shops. We were a little jet lagged (9 hour time difference) this morning (actually until 2pm local time) so we spent most of the day on the beach. Tomorrow we have scheduled a 12 island boat trip and are excited to see more of the area.

6 comments:

Andy said...

Looks like so much fun! I love that you're giving us real time updates. Keep them coming!

Alix Bryant said...

It looks beautiful! Looking forward to more updates...

k. said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you're there. You guys are gutsy. I really have a terrible fear of traevling anywhere where I can't find a zillion people to speak English with me. Sigh.

Have fun!

erin said...

Glad you made it. Looks amazing. I wish I could get Jeff to take a trip like that-maybe someday. Have FUN!!

Monica said...

It's so fun to hear from you from Turkey! Looks amazing, and have a fun, safe trip! I'll be checkin' in for more pics!

Emily said...

I'm so jealous! I would love to go there someday...
Have fun and Happy Late Birthday J!!!